Accord Chairman demands release of detained supporters, urges Tinubu to release withheld Osun LG funds

Osun State
  • Hails Adeleke’s victory, assures citizens of better performance

By John Dike, Osogbo

The National Chairman of Accord Party, Chief Maxwell Mgbudem, has demanded the immediate and unconditional release of all members and supporters of the party allegedly arrested and detained in connection with the just-concluded Osun State governorship election.

Mgbudem also appealed to the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Tunji Disu, to order the release of the detained party members, arguing that the election had been concluded and that there was no justification for their continued detention.

The Accord chairman made the demand in a statement on Monday while reacting to the victory of the party’s candidate and incumbent governor, Ademola Adeleke, in the August 15 governorship election.

He described Adeleke’s victory as a triumph of courage over fear and intimidation, saying the outcome demonstrated the determination of the people of Osun State to freely choose their governor despite what he described as attempts to suppress the party and its supporters.

According to him, the election represented a significant moment for Nigeria’s democracy, as the people had demonstrated their resolve to protect their votes and participate actively in the democratic process.

Mgbudem described Adeleke’s victory as “a powerful testament of the people’s resolve to freely and peacefully choose their governor and protect their votes in spite of all odds.”

He alleged that the electioneering period was characterised by “unusual harassment, intimidation, destruction of property, arrests, detention, killings and the use of federal might,” particularly through the police and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

The Accord chairman alleged that the actions aimed at suppressing the party, the Osun State Government and what he described as peace-loving residents of the state.

He also alleged that the withholding of federal allocations due to the state’s local government areas was part of efforts to weaken the Adeleke administration and make the state ungovernable.

Mgbudem claimed that the alleged objective was to destabilise the state government and create conditions that could eventually pave the way for the declaration of a state of emergency.

He therefore appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to release the federal allocations allegedly being withheld from the local government areas in the state, arguing that the funds were meant for grassroots development and should not be used as a political weapon.

According to him, the people of Osun State should not be made to suffer the consequences of political disagreements, stressing that local government funds should be made available for the provision of basic services and development at the grassroots.

Despite the alleged pressure, Mgbudem said the people of Osun remained firmly behind Adeleke and the Accord Party, turning out in large numbers during the party’s campaigns and other political activities.

He said the electorate identified with the achievements of the Adeleke administration and voted for continuity, inclusive governance and further development of the state.

Mgbudem said Accord prepared for an election and not a war, stressing that the party believed in the supremacy of the ballot over violence.

“It was indeed, the triumph of courage over fear and intimidation. The people have spoken loud and clear with their votes. They have in one accord renewed the mandate of their beloved Governor Adeleke. They have voted for continuity, compassionate and inclusive governance,” he said.

The national chairman dedicated the victory to the people of Osun State, whom he said had demonstrated their commitment to democratic participation and the defence of their votes.

He commended Nigerians, civil society organisations, local and foreign election observers, the international community, the Independent National Electoral Commission and security agencies for their respective roles in the electoral process.

Mgbudem also commended President Tinubu, while urging all stakeholders to continue to support democratic values, peaceful political participation and national unity.

He said the election was over and that the people of Osun State were the ultimate winners.

“There is no victor, no vanquished,” he declared.

The Accord chairman urged all political parties, candidates, members and supporters to close ranks and work together for the development of Osun State.

He also commended candidates of various political parties who stepped down in support of Adeleke, describing the development as a demonstration of political alliance, cooperation and partnership capable of deepening Nigeria’s democracy.

According to him, the interest of Osun State must remain greater than individual or partisan interests.

“Osun State belongs to all its citizens. The interest of the state is greater than individual and political interests,” he said.

However, Mgbudem’s major demand remained the immediate release of Accord leaders, candidates, members and supporters whom he said were arrested and detained in Abuja, Nasarawa and Osun states.

He described their continued detention as a violation of their fundamental rights and urged the Inspector-General of Police to intervene.

The Accord chairman said the conclusion of the governorship election should be considered in reviewing the continued detention of the party members.

“It is in the interest of justice and equity to release them immediately. The election is over, there is no need for their detention,” he said.

Mgbudem’s demand comes amid heightened political tensions following the Osun governorship election, with political parties and security agencies continuing to deal with allegations of electoral offences, arrests and other incidents recorded before and during the poll.

He congratulated Nigerians on the conclusion of the election and expressed optimism that lessons from the Osun poll would contribute to an improved electoral process ahead of the 2027 general elections.

He called for greater unity among political actors and continued commitment to democratic values, while assuring the people of Osun State that the renewed Adeleke administration would perform better and consolidate on its achievements.

Mgbudem urged the governor and his administration to use the renewed mandate to deepen good governance, expand development across the state and ensure that the benefits of government reach the people at the grassroots.

He concluded by calling on all stakeholders to put the election behind them and work collectively for the peace, stability and development of Osun State.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *