By John Dike, Osogbo
Osun State Police Command has confirmed the shooting and death of a 60-year-old man, Tajudeen Yusuf, at Itaolokan area of Osogbo, shortly after Governor Ademola Adeleke and his nephew, popular Nigerian musician David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, visited the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Olanipekun, at his palace.
The development has heightened security concerns in Osogbo, coming barely four days after the August 15 governorship election in the state and amid heightened political tension following the declaration of Adeleke as winner of the election.
The police said Yusuf, a resident of Oke-Ayepe area of Osogbo, was shot by suspected hoodlums on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abiodun Ojelabi, on behalf of the Commissioner of Police (Election), Osun State Command, CP Samuel Etaifo, the command said it received information about the shooting at about 4:00 p.m.
According to the police, preliminary investigation into the incident showed that Governor Adeleke and Davido had earlier paid a courtesy visit to the Ataoja at his palace.
The visit reportedly took place as part of the governor’s post-election engagements following his victory in the August 15 governorship election.
However, the peaceful atmosphere surrounding the visit was allegedly disrupted shortly after the governor and his entourage prepared to leave the palace.
The police said that shortly after the visit, one Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged”, allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but was resisted by members of the musician’s security team.
The confrontation was said to have attracted other suspected gang members who were in the vicinity.
The command alleged that the suspected gang members subsequently blocked the entrance to the palace temporarily and obstructed the movement of the governor’s convoy
The police, however, said the convoy eventually succeeded in leaving the area safely.
According to the statement, the suspected gang members later departed from the vicinity but allegedly shot Yusuf at Itaolokan area of Osogbo while on their way.
The victim was said to have sustained serious gunshot injuries and was left lying in a pool of blood.
The police said that following the report, its operatives immediately mobilised to the scene.
“Upon receiving the information, the police immediately mobilised a patrol team to the scene, where the victim was found lying in a pool of blood,” the statement said.
Yusuf was immediately evacuated to the University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, where medical personnel attempted to save his life.
Unfortunately, he was pronounced dead by the doctors on duty.
His death has further raised concerns among residents about the activities of suspected criminal gangs and the possible escalation of post-election tensions in the state.
Adeleke, Davido’s visit
The incident occurred shortly after Adeleke visited the Ataoja’s palace following the presentation of his Certificate of Return by the Independent National Electoral Commission.
The governor had been declared winner of the August 15 governorship election after defeating the All Progressives Congress candidate, Asiwaju Munirudeen Bola Oyebamiji, popularly known as AMBO, and other contestants.
Following his victory, Adeleke embarked on a series of engagements and appreciation visits.
The visit to the Ataoja’s palace was understood to be part of such post-election activities.
Sources said the governor proceeded to the palace after receiving his Certificate of Return and met with the traditional ruler
.
The monarch was said to have prayed for the success of Adeleke’s administration and the peace and development of Osun State.
The governor also reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the traditional ruler amid celebrations at the palace.
The atmosphere, however, reportedly changed shortly after the governor’s entourage prepared to leave.
Earlier accounts from eyewitnesses had claimed that gunshots were heard around the palace shortly after the governor departed.
An eyewitness told our correspondent that the shooting caused panic among people in the area, with residents and others around the palace reportedly scrambling for safety.
According to the eyewitness, security personnel attached to the governor quickly responded when the shooting started.
“The governor had already entered his vehicle and was about to leave when we suddenly heard heavy shooting. The security men attached to him quickly responded and the people involved ran away,” the eyewitness said.
At the time of the initial report, the identity of those responsible for the shooting and the motive behind the incident could not be independently established.
There were also unconfirmed suggestions that some of the suspected hoodlums may have been expecting financial assistance from the governor, but the allegation could not be independently verified.
The latest police statement has now provided a preliminary account of what allegedly happened before the fatal shooting.
Police launch investigation
Following the death of Yusuf, the Osun State Police Command said it had commenced a full-scale investigation into the incident.
The command said detectives and other security operatives had intensified efforts to identify, locate and arrest the suspects believed to have been responsible for the shooting.
The police also indicated that the investigation would seek to establish the circumstances surrounding the confrontation at the palace, the identities of all those involved and the circumstances that led to Yusuf’s death.
The command said it would deploy all available resources to ensure that those responsible were brought to justice.
CP Etaifo strongly condemned the killing, describing it as a dastardly act.
He assured members of the public that the police would not relent in its efforts to apprehend the fleeing suspects.
The police also appealed to residents who might have information capable of assisting investigators to make such information available.
Members of the public were advised to report to the nearest police station or use the official communication channels of the command.
The command further urged residents to remain calm and avoid actions capable of aggravating the situation.
Post-election security concerns
The shooting has added to growing concerns over security in Osun following the August 15 governorship election.
Although the election was declared concluded by INEC, political tension has continued in some parts of the state, with allegations and counter-allegations of attacks involving supporters of rival political parties.
Adeleke’s victory was followed by celebrations among his supporters in several parts of the state, while opposition parties and groups have continued to express varying reactions to the outcome.
The governor has since received congratulatory messages from political leaders and groups, while several political actors have urged residents to maintain peace after the election.
The latest incident has nevertheless raised fresh questions about the activities of suspected political thugs and criminal elements during post-election engagements.
Security agencies have repeatedly warned political actors and their supporters against acts capable of threatening public peace.
The shooting at Itaolokan, however, has now resulted in a confirmed death, making the police investigation particularly significant.
Police seek public cooperation
The police command appealed to residents not to take the law into their own hands.
It stressed the need for anyone with information about the shooting, the alleged confrontation at the palace or the whereabouts of the fleeing suspects to provide such information to the police.
The command said cooperation from members of the public would be critical to the successful conclusion of the investigation.
It also assured residents that the police would continue to take necessary measures to maintain law and order in Osogbo and other parts of the state.
The command said further updates would be made available as the investigation progresses.
For now, Yusuf’s death remains the confirmed fatality from the shooting, while the police investigation is expected to determine the full chain of events leading from the confrontation at the Ataoja’s palace to the fatal shooting at Itaolokan.
The development has also placed renewed focus on security around public officials, traditional institutions and other prominent personalities as political activities continue in the aftermath of the Osun governorship election.
The police said its priority remained the apprehension of those responsible and ensuring that justice was served.

