President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the military and law enforcement agencies to deal “ruthlessly” with anyone caught trying to disrupt the rescheduled February 23 presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to Punch, the President, who is seeking reelection on the platform of the All Progressives Congress, warned that anyone trying to snatch ballot boxes would do so “at the expense of his life.”
He added that he was not afraid of a free and fair election because he had received overwhelming support from the majority of Nigerians.
Speaking on Monday at the opening of the APC National Caucus Meeting in Abuja, Buhari said he wanted Nigerians to be respected everywhere after the election, warning that anyone caught for ballot box snatching or leading thugs would do so at a risk to his life.
He said, “I do not expect anybody to make any disturbance. I have briefed the law enforcement agencies and the military to identify hot spots, flash points and they should be prepared to move.
“They, too, would have made their own arrangement as much as possible and as resources provide as much as the country can afford it.
“And anybody who decides to snatch ballot boxes or lead thugs to disturb it (election), maybe that would be the last unlawful action he would take.
“I have directed the Police and the military to be ruthless.
“We are not going to be blamed that we want to rig elections. I want Nigerians to be respected.
“Let them vote whoever they want across the parties. I’m not afraid.
“As you said, I have gone round all the 36 states and Abuja. I think I have gotten enough support across the country.
“I am going to warn anybody who thinks he has enough influence in his locality to lead a body of thugs to snatch boxes or to disturb the voting system, he would do it at the expense of his own life.”
In addition, The Guardian reported that Buhari, who had earlier expressed disappointment in the commission over the postponement of the general elections said there will no be room for election riggers to carry out their acts.
The President said Nigerians believed in INEC after the Commission assured of “complete readiness for the elections.”
The president, however, said he was not afraid of losing the election despite the election postponement and that he was optimistic he has the support of Nigerians.
“I am not afraid, I went around 36 states to campaign. I think I have gotten enough support across the country,” Buhari said.
Running its own version of the story, Premium Times reported that the President warned potential troublemakers to stay away from ballot boxes on February 23.
He reportedly warned that anyone who foments trouble, especially by carrying ballot boxes, would be doing so at the “expense of his life.”
”Anybody who decides to snatch boxes or lead thugs to disturb the election, maybe that would be the last unlawful action you would take. I have given the military and police the order to be ruthless.
”I am going to warn anybody who thinks he would lead a body of thugs in his locality to snatch boxes or to disturb the voting system; he would do it at the expense of his/her own life,” the president said.
Buhari made the statement after reprimanding the Independent National Electoral Commission for postponing the general elections from February 16 to 23.
The president repeated that he gave INEC all necessary support to ensure a smooth exercise, but the electoral body still displayed “incompetence” and failed to let Nigerians go to the poll as originally scheduled.
Electoral chiefs cited widespread logistics mishaps for the “painful” postponement, and promised everything would be in order before the new date of February 23 for presidential and federal parliamentary elections. Statewide elections would now hold on March 9, from the initial March 2.
Buhari also threatened consequences against INEC chairman Mahmood Yakubu, agreeing with the submission of party chairman Adams Oshiomhole that the electoral chief had compromised and was in purported collusion with the opposition Peoples Democratic Party.
The national caucus meeting, which was initially televised for about 30 minutes, was cut off live broadcast after the president’s remarks.
Punch/The Guardian/Premium Times