By John Dike, Osogbo
Gunmen suspected to be political thugs on Wednesday reportedly attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after he visited the traditional ruler of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Olanikpekun, at his palace.
The incident allegedly occurred shortly after the governor received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), formally confirming his re-election in the August 15 governorship election.
A source who spoke with our correspondent said the suspected hoodlums, who were said to be in large numbers, had apparently gathered around the palace after allegedly receiving information that the governor would visit the monarch to express his appreciation for the traditional ruler’s support during the election.
Adeleke, who had earlier participated in the certificate presentation ceremony in Osogbo, was said to have proceeded to the palace as part of his post-election appreciation visits.
On arrival, the governor was ushered into the palace, where the monarch reportedly prayed for the success of his administration following what was described as a keenly contested governorship election.
The governor was also said to have presented the Certificate of Return he received from INEC to the traditional ruler amid celebrations and excitement at the palace.
However, shortly after Adeleke departed the palace, gunshots were reportedly heard in the vicinity, creating panic among residents and people around the palace.
.
According to an eyewitness who spoke with our correspondent, the shooting lasted for several minutes as security personnel attached to the governor responded and reportedly engaged the suspected hoodlums, forcing them to flee the area.
The eyewitness said the governor had already entered his vehicle and was preparing to leave the palace when the shooting started.
He said the governor’s security details immediately responded to the situation, preventing the incident from escalating into a direct confrontation with the governor’s convoy.
“The governor had already entered his vehicle and was about to leave when we suddenly heard heavy shooting. The security men attached to him quickly responded and the people involved ran away,” the eyewitness said.
The actual motive behind the presence of the suspected hoodlums at the palace and the reason for the shooting could not immediately be established as of press time.
There were, however, unconfirmed suggestions that the hoodlums may have been expecting financial assistance from the governor, although this could not be independently verified.
Security operatives were said to have remained around the area after the incident to restore calm and prevent further escalation.
The incident occurred against the backdrop of heightened political tension in parts of Osun following the August 15 governorship election, which was won by Governor Adeleke.
The governor defeated the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, to secure another term in office.
The reported shooting has further raised concerns among residents over the need for political actors and security agencies to ensure that post-election activities do not become a trigger for renewed violence.
As of the time of filing this report, there was no official statement from the Osun State Police Command on the incident, while details of any arrests, injuries or damage to property remained unclear.
Further investigation is expected to establish the identity of the suspected hoodlums, their motive and whether the incident was directly connected to the governor’s visit to the palace.
Contacted the police public relations officer DSP Abiodun Ojelabi said he is yet to confirmed the report.

