Ondo Police arrest 13 over Idanre violent attack

Ondo State
  • CP orders manhunt for other culprits, as suspects make useful confessions
  • Aiyedatiwa condemns lawlessness, seeks justice

The Police have arrested 13 suspects linked to the violent attack  that rocked Idanre, in Idanre Local Government, on February 18.

This major breakthrough followed an operation ordered by the state police boss, Adebowale Lawal, as part of efforts to ensure that all perpetrators are identified and brought to justice.

Two persons were killed in the senseless attack; three others were injured, while property worth millions of Naira were destroyed.

Swiftly, the state police boss stepped in, and directed an intensive intelligence-driven manhunt to track down all those connected with the violence.

Acting on credible intelligence and sustained surveillance, operatives of the Idanre Division of the state police command carried out coordinated operations at strategic locations.

This led to the arrest of the 13 suspects aged between 30, and 49.

They  are said to be in police custody and had made useful statements aiding ongoing investigations.

Besides, the Command said it is working to unravel the full circumstances surrounding the attack, identify any additional collaborators and determine the specific roles played by each suspect.

According to The Hope, CP Lawal reiterated the Command’s resolve to ensure that all those involved in the heinous act are brought to justice.

The police boss warned individuals or groups contemplating acts capable of disturbing public peace, that the Command would deploy its full operational capacity to deal decisively with such threats.

Residents of Idanre were urged to remain calm, law-abiding and to continue cooperating with the police by providing timely and useful information to aid investigations and enhance collective security efforts.

Earlier, Ondo State Governor, Dr. Lucky Aiyedatiwa had distanced himself from clashes, warning against lawlessness, following the clashes which erupted during the APC Ward Congress in Idanre on February 18

The Chief Press Secretary to the Ondo State Governor, Prince Ebenezer Adeniyan, on Wednesday, dismissed claims linking the governor to the recent disturbances that erupted during the All Progressives Congress (APC) ward congresses across the state.

Adeniyan, in a statement, described the governor as the leader of the party and “father to all party members,” noting that since assuming office, he has consistently practised an inclusive leadership style that accommodates all factions and interests within the APC.

He stated that the governor has, for the first time in the state’s history, held quarterly stakeholders’ meetings with party leaders, a measure credited with fostering unity and strengthening members’ sense of belonging.

On the recent clashes, Adeniyan said the governor had called on security agencies on Tuesday to restore order at the party secretariat.

He further revealed that the governor had directed security authorities to investigate an incident in Idanre earlier on Wednesday and ensure that the perpetrators are brought to justice.

Adeniyan urged all aspirants seeking party positions to exercise restraint and call their supporters to order, warning that the government would not tolerate any breakdown of law and order in any part of the state.

The Hope

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *